During my holidays I have met an old friend of mine that is currently trying to learn a bit more about console’s GPUs and asked me few links. I knew a couple off the top of my head, but I didn’t have a list saved anywhere, but instead vague memories of docs here and there.
This is not a blog post, this is not interesting, this is only a GCN links dump to send to friends asking for info (ciao Piero!) and maybe useful to the random internet surfer.
Official AMD documents
- Sea Islands (GCN 2.0) Instruction Set Architecture and GCN 3.0 ISA.
- Developer Summit 2011: Graphics Core Next presentation – Michael Mantor and Mike Houston
- GCN Architecture Whitepaper
- The AMD GCN Architecture: A Crash Course – Layla Mah PowerPoint presentation or slideshare link (If you want to read one, I’d pick this)
- Asynchronous shaders whitepaper
- Bart Wronski’s GCN: Two Ways Of Latency Hiding and Wave Occupancy
- Seb Lagarde’s Inverse trigonometric functions GPU optimization for AMD GCN architecture
- Michal Drobot’s GCN Execution Patterns in Full Screen Passes
- Timothy Lottes’ GCN Memory Coalescing (From AMD’s GPU Open)
- Ben Sander’s GCN Assembly cross lane operations (From AMD’s GPUOpen)
- Michal Drobot’s Low Level Optimizations for AMD GCN – pptx and video.
- Emil Person’s Low level shader optimization for next gen and DX11
- Josh Barczak’s Pyramid, a shader analyzer tool that can show GCN disassembly and simulate shader execution on GCN.
- Michal Drobot’s ShaderFastMathLib (approx. for transcendental functions)
Also, let me add that AMD’s great initiative, GPU Open, is a great resource for GCN related stuff!
Let me know if you know any other interesting link!
Till the next one,